Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It occurred to me...

 It occurred to me yesterday that being a youth paster many years ago really prepared me for being a parent. I am sure that seems like a no brainer to most of you. I will never forget waking up after giving birth to Matthew and realizing those children belonged to someone. I was forever changed for the better 
No longer was it just a way fun day to hang out with young adults on a ski trip, or floating a river...it was stressful, fearful, work.
It all came flooding back to me yesterday. 
I took Matthew and his friend James, his brother Isaac and Hannah on a 3.5 hour float trip. It was after all 97 degrees and currently we don't have AC.
I also bought a new waterproof camera to try. I actually hate it and will be returning it to Sam's club.
It was the first time floating for most of them. Hannah had done it once before for a church camp but it was much shorter trip, Matthew had done it a few times in Montana when we had the family reunion years ago but he was on Mike's lap the entire time. James and Isaac had never gone before.
For the most part it was a leisurely float down a very non exciting river. 
Hannah fell off her tube about 100 times! This was her starting to for about the 80th time!
James and Matthew became the pros at truly floating!
okay, these pictures are out of order but I don't think I can move them at the moment. This was on the shuttle bus on the way to the put in point. 

This was about the time that they were busting out of the seams in anticipation. They had spent the entire day on hurry up and wait mode! Hurry up and wait for Monica to pick us up, Hurry up and wait for lunch, hurry up and wait to get to the river(an hour drive) hurry up and wait on the shuttle bus! It was well worth the wait though. 
meanwhile..back on the river!
My favorite photo of the day! This will hopefully be used in the fall with a paper titled "What I did this summer" 
By the way, all kids under 10(why only 10 baffles me) are required by law to wear a life vest. They all hated them. I don't care how great of swimmers they think they are. You never know what can happen in a river! This life vest rubbed Matthew the wrong way, literally, though. He ended up getting a pretty bad rash on his armpits and chin. 

I have to admit I was a little worried about a 3.5 hour float seeming to take forever but it really went by fast. I learned something, scratch that. I learned a lot about myself too. So even though I am up right now because my middle toe on my right side is so banged up that I can't sleep...It was a success! I can't wait to do it again. 
Hannah on the other hand... well she was the only one who said yes! Yes, she said without pause when the guy at the end asked if we were going to go again! She got vetoed by the rest of us. One of these days Hannah we can go around twice. We just need to start earlier and not give Monica such a heart attach on the river. 
What a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment