It is a special breed of people that would get what Mike and I are going through right now...
I know this, and I am glad to be a part of that circle.
It is such a mix of emotions...let me take you back
Mike and I got Charlie 13 years ago. We had been married just a few years and we were ready for a baby...well kind of. We wanted a chocolate lab. We found a litter of puppies and went out to pick out our puppy. The litter he came from had 8 puppies and the woman told us that Charlie was the smartest one of the litter. She said no matter what I try I can't keep him in the box. He wants to explore. Charlie played intently with a dried up leaf as the other puppies in the litter doggy piled on each other. We decided he was the one, and Mike confidently claimed him with a little green collar. A few weeks later we received a call from the woman saying he was weaned and she way ready to get rid of the 8 puppies that were driving her crazy. I was gone that weekend working and Mike spent the whole time snuggled up with our new fur child. I still remember coming home to visit and seeing the two of them napping together. He spent the next two years by Mike's side. He was the luckiest dog in the world. Charlie's world was about to change though in so many ways. First Matt came into the picture... he went from being the center of our world to second to Matt. Then Mike was promoted and Charlie was no longer able to go to work with him... So we made the decision to get him a friend. That is when Portis came into the picture. Oh Portis... life would never be the same again.
As I type this Charlie is sleeping next to me. He has been fighting hard for the past month for his life. His heart is weak and his body is full of things that should not be there...and yet he fights. He has moments when Mike and I think if we could we would just end it... Then he pops up and wags his tail and smiles at us. (Yes, dogs do smile) Mike took him for a drive this morning only to end up at the pond. Charlie found the puppy inside himself and swam for over an hour. We literally had to drag him away from the pond. If you knew the condition of his health this would amaze you.
You have been more than a good dog. You have been a great dog. You have been in Matt's life since day one. You have been protective and kind. You saved Mike when he needed it most, and protected me when I needed it most. You showed Matt why having a dog is better than having stuff. You are a true example of what unconditional love means. You softened the blow of so many things. You were a pillow, a sounding board, a catcher of weeds and rocks and tennis balls, an amazing swimmer, and a friend. You were worth every penny and you were honestly cheap.
1. Why in the world do we have to lose two amazing dogs so close together? I know the answer to this one though.
2. There must be some truth to what they say about Dog being God spelled backwards. The love they show is a perfect example of unconditional trust if they are lucky enough to live in the hearts of those who value it.
Thank you Charlie for being a part of our life for 13 wonderful years. You have blessed us beyond what we ever imagined. I hope we blessed you too.









No comments:
Post a Comment