Today was Matthew's last day as a Byron Elementary student. We fought hard to be here through 4th grade and we made it. It was rough for some of it but it was ALWAYS worth it.
So today, our family finally got our turn for the clap out. This is a tradition at Matt's school. They line the halls with everyone who they can and they clap out and cheer all the students who are moving on. Most of them have spent 5 years in this school and they know every inch of it.
For us it was more than just clapping for some kids as they moved on to middle school. It was clapping for a school that puts so much heart into us. It was for all the years that we have struggled just to be there. It was for all the amazing hours these teachers had poured into Matthew. Yes, it was bigger than just clapping for the 4th graders.
For Matthew it was going to be unforgettable and he had no idea. Matthew had one wish for the clap out. He wanted his dad there. All the years he acted annoyed at how much I loved the clap out and yet, I found out he was a sucker for it too. And now it was his turn...
He was so busy clapping hands that he did not even notice us across the hall from him. Mike and I had no idea he would be able to make it. Mike however, has an amazing boss who told him not to miss it. Mike drove home through the night to surprise Matt for the clap out.
They rounded the hall and came towards us. This is my best picture of smiling Hannie!
and just seconds after this picture was snapped Mike swooped in and grabbed a hold of him...I did not get one shot of it. Not even a bad one. My camera, it refused to focus...Yep. emotion and photography go hand in hand. It was a very wonderful moment! I will never forget it. Thank you Troy!
Then we said our goodbyes. Miss Meyer, absolutely one of the best teachers on the planet! If you get her next year you are so very lucky!
Linda, the secretary who always helped Matthew and I whenever we needed it. She was absolutely wonderful.
Mrs. Olson, Matthew's 1st grade teacher(and Hannie's) She taught them both the power of books. Hannah will be an amazing author some day because of her.
Then there was Mrs. Pompeii Matt's kindergarten teacher. She still makes him blush. He will always have a special place in his heart for her.
Then there was 3rd grade. Mrs. Hansen, she was also very wonderful. I love her too.
Matthew said goodbye to Mrs. Rodemeyer. He will be at Byron Elementary for a very long time! I am sure of it.
Then we said goodbye to Mary. I am so thankful for her. She was gone a lot of last year as her husband fought and lost to cancer. I am saddened that she had to endure this but I am thankful that it happened when we were there to support her. Mary inspired me daily when I would see her at school.
And so they march on...into middle school.
sigh***
























No comments:
Post a Comment