Sunday, September 30, 2012

The trout whisperers

A lot has changed in the past few years. Well that is putting it mildly! Even the stuff that has stayed the same has changed. Matt and Mike are still best fishing buddies. This is them today. 
This is them from 4 years ago. Matt was 6 and he was not fly fishing yet. He also never out fished his dad. 
 This is him today. He has become an incredible fly fisherman. And he can easily keep up with his dad and some days out fish him. 

 He too can see why fly fishing has had his dad's heart.
 This was a huge white sucker fish that he caught from atop that wooden structure. 

 Here is the cast...


 I always think some day we will have a more normal life and I will be able to let the boys go fishing without me. Then I remember how much I love to see my husband in his hip waders casting a fly line...and I think why would I miss this. 
 Another small brookie. Small and beautiful. The fall colors had nothing on this little guy. 
 Then I looked over to see my son becoming one with the stream as he stepped barefoot into the water(in late September) and his cast became as natural as breathing...and I thought Clair, you would be so amazed. Some families are all about football or other sports. Mike and I have invested in this. I can't think of any other sport that you can do up until forever.In fact, Clair fished until way late in his life and many say that was what broke him in the end. Not being able to do what he loved so much anymore. I can't think of any other sport that teaches you so much about the earth and true conservation. Yes, this is where I choose to invest. Maybe Matt can start a youth fly fishing team when he gets to high school. 
 His cast has really become pretty darn amazing. 
Despite the occasional snag...

On a side note, I have to tell you how thankful we are to Ray our adopted grandpa from our Hiawatha group. Matt had a parent day at his new to us middle school on Friday. Mike and I had a prior commitment that I could not get out of that I booked last December. Mike was able to go for a few hours but then Ray kindly stepped in. He made Matt's day very bright. He also gave me the peace of mind that I would never have had otherwise. Mike and I were deeply touched by his kindness. Some people come into your life at just the right time for a reason. Ray and his wife Suzie are those people to us. 
Thank you Ray. Matt was so proud to have you by his side on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment