Our trip to Atlanta can never be put into words. It was something out of a dream. I can't even start to tell you all the little moments we had when people were so kind. More than anything I discovered a long lost sister. Dawn, I was flattered when asked if I was your sister at the start but I was honored when I was asked at the end. You and I were meant to be friends.
(this is memory card one by the way...lots more to come)
Mike grew up watching the Braves from the time he was Matthew's age. He loved them when they were the worst team in baseball. He loved them when they were the best, and he loved them every year that was in between. His heart is invested with them. Back then they played at Fulton County Stadium and this is where home plate for that is. I tried to get him to run the bases but he declined.
He was though one happy camper. I don't think I have ever seen him at such peace. When we first met years ago we had a map hung on the wall with our route to Atlanta. He wanted to see the Braves play and I thought a long road trip would be fun. It was our dream for many years. Through our moves and life's own curve balls we never made it. Well some things are just so well worth the wait.
I know without hesitation I can tell you that Turner Field is the best stadium in all of baseball. I have only been to a few and I can still say this. Why?
Every single person we came in contact with from the guards at the gate(who had every right to be grumpy) to the concession stand workers, to the lady that was attending the restroom was incredibly kind and friendly. Not just polite but downright known you since you were in diapers kind. Seriously made me feel so welcome. In fact I felt this way with most of Atlanta but at Turner there was a since of pride with being kind. That kindness will not be soon forgotten.
These pictures are kind of random but there is just too many and I wanted to share some. This is Mike calling the bull pen on the real phone! Bobby Cox touched this same phone!!!!
A lot of these photos are from Mike in this first batch. He took this picture of Matthew while I had a girls lunch. This was after I was an hour late to our lunch. We had a big food service truck change lanes and hit us. It was not fun. The truck driver however was incredibly nice...go figure.
we rushed through the aquarium but here are Mike's amazing photos from it.
This is the hospitality crew for public relations at Turner! They are of course as nice as they are cute! They surprised the three of us with little gift bags and a welcome to the Ted. This is about the time Mike and I almost cried.
Matthew took this picture. That is Beaumont. You can call him Beau. He totally stole Mike's heart. This is Mike's aunt Lauri in the background.
Then there is Chelsea. Chelsea is one amazing young woman. I can't believe how good she is with Matthew. He adores her and her brother Alec. When I first met Mike Chelsea was 3 years old!
This is her baby Big. He was one of the sweetest cats I have ever met. Matthew adored him too.
Yes, I am pretty darn wonderful!
back to Turner!
Terry Pendelton is my all time favorite ball player. He has provided years of solid leadership as well as being one of the best players in baseball. I loved seeing the way he held the team together back in the 90's. He was a big part of why they were a success and he did it with being a true leader.
I got to hug him!
This picture was taken by the official Braves photographer and I have to say I was really impressed by him. His work is incredible.
Then it happened...Chipper Jones came walking by and Matthew said "Chipper can I have your autograph? You are my favorite player"... and he stopped!
and then as Mike was shaking like a leaf he said...do you want a picture of me with your son? Mike some how got the shot despite his massive camera shake. Then he shook his hand but he does not remember that! It was a pretty incredible moment. Too bad mom had bought him the wrong shirt to wear. Sorry Chipper that is all me. Matt is all about #10 and especially now!
he was in total shock!
Terry Pendelton and Chipper Jones. Two of the very best in the business. Together as always!
Then there were more players and more signatures.
I also wanted to share this photo of the Owens. Now you can see Alec too. Alec like Chelsea is one amazing kid. Okay, I know they are not kids, but they kind of are to Mike and I. Thank you so much for letting us stay at your amazing house and for the wonderful company. You are very lucky we were only joking about our "stay" cation!
There are lots more pictures and stories to tell! I can't wait to tell you about Walter and show you pictures of so many of the people that made our trip incredible. Hang with me as I have so much to get caught up on first.






























No comments:
Post a Comment