Sunday, April 3, 2011

The hunt for owl pellets...

 Last week in school Matthew dissected owl pellets. In case you don't know what these are...when a raptor bird of any kind eats its prey it can't digest things like hair..and bones. After everything that it can digest has been..well digested.. it hacks back up a pellet. This is a hairball type thing(don't worry pictures will follow!) that you can break apart to see bones and skulls and such. 
After Matthew's science day at school he has been on the quest to get more pellets. 
Jenny and I came up with the idea to take the kids out to Oxbow today and collect some. 
Oxbow...also means photo op! 







 The kids quickly made friends with the deer

 He liked to lick them

 Do you know how nice 60 degrees feels after a long cold winter. 
I don't care what anyone says no one but a Minnesotan can appreciate spring.
Have you ever seen a cuter bunch of kids???love all the holes in the knees!!!
 Okay..this porcupine was totally dancing for us. It was so cute. Look at the top and then the bottom photo and back up again quickly and you can see his moves. 

 It was our lucky day on the pursuit of owls and pellets! This girl was walking around with this cute little guy. She helped educate us on him. Then she sent us to see Kevin about some pellets! 

I think I am in love with owls...whooo are you looking at? 
 This is Kevin. He took a good chunk out of his day to help get us some pellets, and teach us about them. 
 Jenny and I attempted a self portrait. Yes, those are rapture pellets in my hand. 
 Then we said goodbye to the river otters. 
 Here is our bounty! Yum right! 
 See the bones and hair???
 That is what they look like whole!
Oh, and FYI: Fresh ones smell pretty nasty...kind of like cat puke and owl vomit.

Time for a nap!

5 comments:

  1. Great shots! Looks like a fun day. Love the one of the baby owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your shot of the owl vomit looks GREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, you have some beautiful shots of the kids!!! Just want to say I am in love with owls as well!! I love the one picture where he's looking right at the camera. :) I wish I could join you on the hunt for the pellets but I am stuck in cold/rainy/still snow on the ground Wisconsin. When can i move?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I am amazed at how cute those pictures of the girls turned out for taking them on a whim. It helps that they are so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool pics Monica! Love the ones of the kids of course. Funny, my first thought was also, love all the holes in the knees! Ok, the vomit stuff is really gross, but very, very interesting!!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete