You would think that I would pass on these; I hate studio photography. I have more pictures of Matt than most people have photos. There is something I just love about them though. The idea of the same photo over and over again year after year.The idea of growth through a photo. It just gets to me. I wait in total anticipation for them to show up every year. Then they do, and I feel my heart stop. It always makes me think...where was I when I was his age.
With the passing of Steve Jobs I have found a quote of his that really makes sense when I look back on it. Steve said that in order to connect the dots in our life we have to look back rather than forward. Then we hope that all the dots come together.
Fourth grade found me at yet another new school. My family had moved to Choteau Montana when I was in third grade. That is where I met my friend Lori. She married the boy that lived across the street from her. Craig was the boy I had a third grade crush on. She teased me about it, then married him! Then in fourth grade we moved to Great Falls Montana, this is the city that housed the true man of my dreams. Mike and I moved to Billings to go to college. Lori and Craig had gotten married and moved to Billings. Craig got Mike the job he had the past 12 years...
Hence, this is where all the dots come together. Craig invited Mike to come to Antelope Camp with all of his buddies and dads that had been going for years. Mike was of course hooked after one year. Now he has Matthew hooked.
Okay, so to bring this full circle...
Looking at this photo makes me thing about how things the dots really do connect as we look back on our life. It makes me think about how Matthew's life is starting to fill with dots. I wonder if he will look back some day and connect them. I wonder if the boys he meets at Antelope camp will be the groomsmen in his wedding. I wonder if he will get a job because of someone his wife knew in third grade. I wonder if they will someday connect and come full circle.
Then I realize that they almost have to, right.




No comments:
Post a Comment