Sunday, October 9, 2011

The mug

 Years and years ago...okay, 15!!! I worked with an amazing woman. Her name was Mary Carol. She was one of the first real women to influence my life. She was one of the kindest and smartest women I have ever met. I treasured working with her. I watched her walk away from gossip, be kind to others always. It is not a joke when I tell you that she could not hurt a fly. Literally, she would catch the flies in our classroom and let them go outside. She taught me so much. I was really young back then and I made a lot of mistakes. I honestly don't know how she believed in me, but she did. 
Right after I got married to Mike I moved on from that job. It broke my heart to not work with her anymore. The years slipped away and with it so did our bump into each others, and such. A few years after I stopped working with her, she lost her very amazing husband to cancer. It has always pained me that I was not there to help her through that time. She of course handled it with grace. She put her energy into her children. They now have grandchildren. I may not see her anymore but I still stay connected with her life. She was a foundation in who I am now.
She gave me this mug on my last day working with her. It has survived 4 moves(2 cross country) and probably thousands of cups of coffee. I can't use it or look at it without thinking of her. It is like having coffee with an old friend when I use it. Well...a few days ago when I poured my coffee into my trusty ol mug, coffee poured all over me. 
It seems my old trusty mug here, has finally seen it's last cup of coffee. Funny how something like a broken coffee mug can almost bring you to tears. I can't bear to think of not having coffee with an old friend. Even if it is just the memory of her.
Mary Carol, if you ever get a chance to read this. I want you to know that that was probably the most uses and appreciated gift you ever gave. Besides your friendship and your advice. I am older and wiser now and I am so very thankful for knowing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment