Sunday, February 26, 2012

A funny thing happened on the way to get a haircut...

Yesterday was meant to be an ordinary average Saturday for Matthew and I. 
That morning I asked Matt if he wanted to go get his haircut. He said YESSSS...you see even though I love those cute curls, he was very sick of them. 
On the way there Matthew said to me out of the blue..."Mom, I really wish I would have known grandpa Clair better" Me too, Matt. 
When we got to the barbershop they told us we had a 30 minute wait. Matthew asked if we could go to Gander Mountain. Sure...
When we got there we noticed a bunch of men sitting in the "The Lodge" that they have. When Matthew noticed they were tying flies he was so excited, but shy. I told him I would go watch them with him. Oh, no! These men would have none of that. They pulled him in and took turns working with him. They were amazing, and quite funny I  might add. 
They told him stories about fishing in Montana.
I tried to tell them about how I thought Mike was the most amazing fly fisherman in the world but they didn't seem to believe me. Matthew later told me that he thought I was bragging. Yep, I probably was...but I still think my husband has the most beautiful cast that God has ever created.(No, I did not put it like that)
Matthew was such a good student.
Then he met this man...
He was so excited to get Matthew going. He shared his supplies, knowledge and even his candy with Matt!
and then he told us his name...
Clairon 
Odd, don't you think? 
Life is so full of little surprises, and this was one of them. 
He was so excited to work with Matt, and of course Matt was so excited to work with him.

 He was a really good teacher. 
Matthew may never really get to know Clair and all the amazing things he knew. My hope is that through others he can learn about all the things Clair loved. It is in knowing these loves that he can get to know his great grandfather. 
 Next week they are going to teach him how make Wooly Buggers!This will make Mike happy. I know it is a fly that he uses a lot. 
Bet I can guess what Matt wants for his birthday this year:-)
 So what is Matt doing today?
Yes, I totally miss the curls. 

1 comment: