Thursday, October 9, 2008

Goose Stew

Thanks to Mark Ketchum for inspiring me to try this! My only other time I had tried Goose was at the Roger house years ago...when Moose was a puppy. I will never forget him running circles around the living room. She had made us "Elk" stew and I could not get over how good the meat was when she found a pellet in hers. She called Mark who had given the meat to them and he started laughing hysterically! He had marked the meat Elk tenderloin so people would take it. He knew if he marked it Goose it would go to waste. All these years since people had called me crazy because I would tell them that Goose was the best meat I had ever had. Even Mike told me to buy hot dogs for a backup with my stew. He was convinced it would be awful! All these years later I finally got to make it. I was not disappointed! It was fantastic! I hope it does not take another 9 years to make it again.

OK, I am fully aware that most of my friends who read this will not even remotely care to try it, and those who might will not have Goose available! However, my husband was way impressed by this and wanted me to share it with his AC buddies. I figured I would post it kind of like the Pioneer woman does. However, I got busy half way through so I have a whole three pictures! Maybe next time. I will say that it was fantastic though. Mike and I LOVED it. We now have another food issue with Portis. He loved the Goose! He stands and cries now at the fridge thinking I will give him more of it. There will be no meat wasted at our house this season. I might add that Charlie thinks it is awful..funny he was the dog who would eat anything.

Goose Stew:

Start by soaking Goose meat overnight in 1/3 cup salt and 1/4 cup baking soda with enough water to cover. I use a ziplock bag so I can shake it up. In the morning or before starting rinse them off and cube.

Chop up celery and onion and saute in a pan with the butter.
In a bowl mix 1/2 cup or so of flour with salt and pepper or other seasonings if you want. Add the meat and shake. When the meat is covered add to a frying pan and brown. Add the garlic powder to the meat as it cooks, add as much as you are comfortable with.
When the meat is brown add it to the sauteed veggie mix and cook for a few more minutes. Then transfer all of it to a dutch oven, crock pot or any other slow cooker. Add your garlic. I use a press but you can add it how you want. I put mine in a Pampered Chef deep dish cooker that I have a cover for. Add about 2 cups of a good red wine and place in the oven or crock pot at 275-300 degrees for 4-5 hours. The longer it cooks the more tender it is. Add your chopped potatoes, rutabagas and carrots as well as more onion about an hour before. We love rutabagas but they do take longer to cook. I encourage you to try them but chop them up in smaller chunks(be prepared to pound they are tough little things) and put them in with a good hour or more to cook. They are fantastic though! We make a root mash that has them in it with potatoes...to die for! I should put that recipe on here for Thanksgiving.


~ 2 large goose breasts or other parts of the goose, cubed
~ 1/3 cup salt
~1/4 cup baking soda
~ 1 large onion, chopped
~ 1 clove garlic, chopped
~ 4 Tbs butter
~ 3 - 4 large potatoes, cubed..I use the canned potatoes. They are great for stew! and easy
~ 1 bunch carrots, diced
~ 1 bunch celery, chopped, leaves and all
~2-3 cloves garlic or more
~2 cups red wine
~other chopped veggies that you want Carrots, rudabagas, etc
flour
salt and pepper~
garlic powder


On a side note:
Make sure to bring your Goose home dead. Mike brought them home with one standing up in the back of the truck looking at me. It took everything I had not to run with him.



1 comment:

  1. I will remember your "side note" the next time I bring my goose home. :) You're funny!

    ReplyDelete