Thursday, March 5, 2009

Why I love birthdays...

I debated all day today about blogging about my own birthday. You see I love that it is my birthday. I love that I am another year older and hopefully wiser. I really do love it. I love letting the world know that I love my age. I have never snickered at turning any age really. Maybe a tiny bit when I turned 26 but I was still a baby then. However, at the same time I don't want it to seem that I am looking for anything extra from my friends. The mocha from my husband and the letter on Jenny's blog was more than enough for me. The gift from Shana sent my day over the top. It just occurred to me in a big way what is so important to me about today and I want to share it with you. It is the story of Nita Larsen.

As most of you know Mike's grandfather passed away a little over a year ago. His grandparents had two amazing friends for many many years. They were Bob and Nita Larsen. Bob looked like the old Hollywood. He was very charming and nice. He was a true gentleman. Nita had followed him to Montana from the Denmark. They left all the family they knew over there to start a life here. She meet Dot(Mike's grandmother) as she got off the plane and had a new "sister" in her life. Over the years they both had families, had hardships, and many good times too. Bob and Nita had a great love for each other. They also had a great love for the children they had. The hardest thing they ever had to go through was loosing a son to cancer when he was in his 30's, until recently that is. Bob was diagnosed with dementia and it progressed rapidly, to the point of not even knowing Nita. A few days ago Nita lost a very short and hard battle with cancer herself. Bob went to see her and did not recognize her.

My heart breaks to think about how basic life should be. My biggest earthly investment is by far in the heart of my husband. The more I invest the greater my return. Matthew in turn reaps the rewards of the interest accrued from it. I see every birthday as a celebration of a year that I was granted to be here on earth. It was a year of memories, moments, and breathes. I thank God that I got to see 35. I only hope that in the end I will get to say my goodbyes to all the ones I love. Chances are if you are reading this you are one of the ones I love. Like my husband's favorite quote "Time is all we have and then one day we find out we don't have much of it"

Mike and I wish the Larsen family the very best. Our hearts are with you in this moment. Your mom and dad were and are amazing people. We will be praying for them.

Here is a link to her Obituary:
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/03/04/obituaries/50-larsenn.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment