Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Everyone has a past

Most people who know me would find it hard to believe that I was once very shy.  When I started high school I signed up for an intro Drama class.  Little did I know that it would change my life.  I grew up in the theater this picture was in.  This was my family.  We annoyed each other and looked out for each other.  I did not just take acting classes. I took stagecraft classes, painting classes, directing classes, design classes, and any other class offered for that matter.  I was safe there. I was happy there.  My parents hated it.  My dad thought it was a complete waste of my time.  He never missed an opportunity to tell me that.  It was far an few between that he even attended any play that I was in or came to any award ceremony that was put on.  As I am writing this I realize this is one area of my life that I am quite frankly still not over.  Don't misunderstand me...I am not loosing sleep over it.  In fact, I am a better mom because of it.  I happen to know that drama effected my life in the following ways:
My creative side is alive and well.  I can build anything!
I am a strong willed, not afraid of what people thing of me, amazing person.
I fully support whatever Matthew wants to do(as long as it is legal)
I am not shy!
There is no theater out there that I can't walk into and not feel at peace.
I had somewhere to go to keep me safe and making great choices....who knows where I would be if I did not have that at such a time in my life.

If you are wondering why I am writing about this and how this all ties into my current life, let me tell you.  This picture was taken for a play called "David and Lisa" I could tell you something amazing about everyone in the photograph.  I can also tell you that I helped make that set(even the grey blocks we are sitting on!   The teacher in the photograph is Mr. Berdquist. He started teaching the year before I started my path through theater.  In just a few days he will be done teaching.  Thursday night all my old friends will be gathering for a family reunion to wish him well as he exits the place that he made home for all of us.  I can't be there(other than in spirit) I will be watching Matthew sing at his school performance.  I just wanted to take a moment to say how thankful I am for who I am.  

1 comment: