Sunday, May 9, 2010

A fair trade?


I have been telling my friend Jenny for months now that I would really love to photograph a wedding for a couple that could never afford a "real" photographer.  I thought it would be a great way to tithe.  I believe strongly in time and talent tithing.  When I was a youth pastor I found out quickly that anyone can write you a check but nothing replaces the hours and dedication that a good volunteer can give.  Time and talent are incredibly important.

Well it just so happens that Jenny got asked to take pictures for a young couple's wedding and she called me.  I said "YES" before she even finished, before she even told me the date, before I knew anything about them.

Yesterday was the wedding.  I met Amy that morning at the hair salon and I met Kyle later that morning as they were getting ready.  I loved them both and I was so thrilled to be a part of the day.  

It was at the hair salon that I found out that Kyle was recently released from the Army after serving his enrollment.  He served 14 months in Iraq.  Kyle spent 14 months of his life dodging bullets for me.  He put his life on hold to make sure that my family was safe.  He had parents who raised a son brave enough to do this.  Kyle is not an ordinary person in my eyes.  

I honestly smiled the entire drive home(63 miles) from the wedding.  I am so honored that I got to give back to Kyle for what he did for me.  I know it is just a few photos but it really is a token of how much I value what he did for me.  

Kyle and Amy I wish you the very best marriage.  There is many secrets to long happy marriages that I have learned over the years but the one that I think works the best is "live your life to make your spouses better".  If you both just do that you will be married 50+ years before you know it.  
I love marriage! A sacrament is a vow between you and God that you vow you will shed blood before you break.  A sacrament is more than a promise...it is what will make your skies bluer and your grass greener if  you let it.  

As your photographer I was witness to your sacrament and that means that I am expected to pray for the success of your marriage.  I will take that seriously. 


2 comments:

  1. Well, I think your heart is more beautiful than your photos! (and your photos are GREAT)Happy Mother's Day, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the photos! This one is lovely. Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete