Sunday, March 28, 2010

I ❤ Faces {dramatic black & white}

This is not just my favorite black & white shot, it is one my favorite all time shots. This little boy reminded me so much or my son's friend that moved away.  I could not help but like him.  He was such a great kid.  I managed to capture this at the last game.  His coach had just handed him his card as he looked up.  I love so much about this shot.  I love how he is framed in by the coach and another player. I love how his eye sparkles. I love that his name is also in focus on his card.  It is a real moment that captures a little boy getting his first card from his coach.  This is one of those shots that makes you fall in love with photography all over again.  You know the ones...the simplest click of the camera...and then you gasp.

My tips for black and white: Everyone has different taste when it comes to photography.  I have to say that I like a crisp and precise B&W.  I try not to convert a photo to hide something.  I know people tell you to do that, but I like a clean B&W.  I also always ask myself the questions "would this add anything to the photo or take anything away? Is the color important to the shot?" When it comes to actually converting your B&W shots make sure you do your homework.  There are thousands of ways to convert a picture(in every program) I have a preset I love in my Aperture 3 that I built myself. I live for bright whites and dark blacks in a B&W.  Make sure you find what you love and make some notes.




to see what I am doing every week jump on over to I ❤ Faces

18 comments:

  1. That is great advice. And the picture is awesome. I love reading his name on the envelope. His eyes look very serious. Focused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photo. I love how he is in focus while the other 2 people are not. Such a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this photo, almost as if it could have been 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks so classic. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice shot. Love his expression.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shot, and great tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great DOF with the guys in front of him! I love the story in this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing shot..love the moment the kid is captured in and plus does not look re-touched.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica, you amaze me. Thank you for being my teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Nice Monica!!

    ReplyDelete