
My husband has been lucky enough to have all four of his grandparents for most of his life. The past few years have been very draining on him as he has lost three of them. This past week his grandma Mollie passed away at 95. Watching him over the past few days I can see how much it has really effected him. Time and miles have made things hard for us to see any family on a regular basis.
Mollie was as strong as they come. She was as tough as nails and I loved that about her. I loved that she told people exactly what she thought of them no matter what. She was not afraid of anything. She really did not care what people thought of her. What a wonderful thing in today's day and age. I sent Mollie pictures of Matthew every few months and I am sure her room was full of them. In the past year this blog has really become a family diary for me and I really wish Mollie could have enjoyed reading it. With Mike and I so far away I feel like it has become our strongest way to stay connected with the ones we love. That is really why I started this in the first place and now it has become my way of keeping track of the little things...that is what we will really miss someday right?
I will never forget the first time I met Mollie right after Mike and I met. Her and Joe were quite a pair and they always made me smile. Now that Aunt Marcia has turned Matthew into a Cubs fan I bet he and Joe would have had a blast watching games together. In the past few years after going to my first Cubs game in Chicago I can truly understand Joe's lifetime of heartache. It is amazing to think about everything that Mollie witnessed in the past 95 years.... Can you even imagine! Women voting, the great depression, WWII, births and deaths, inventions! Our world has changed so much. My husband can testify to the fact that I am always smitten when I see an elderly person anywhere. It just amazes me that people do not see them for what they are, living witnesses to our history. I can not look at them without wondering "what is her/his story. I wonder what they thing of our world that sees them as invisible.
Dear Cheryl,
I hope you know that you are in our prayers and thoughts. Mike has been beside himself trying to figure out how to support you. He loves you very much. I know Molly had a very long and healthy life but the passing of a parent is a loss in your heart. We can not wait to see you soon and give you great big hugs. Matthew sends his love too.
Love,
Mike, Monica and Matthew



No comments:
Post a Comment