Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cooking with fire

I went though a faze a while back... It was all about cupcakes.  I could not make enough of them.  My friends loved and hated me for this.  During that time I discovered the most magical blog.  I still love this blog.  It is simply www.cupcakeblog.com  There are a few recipes on there that I adore.  This is one that I have wanted to make for months.
S'mores Cupcakes



Graham Cracker Cupcakes 
15 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven
1 cup graham cracker crumbs, from 6 whole graham crackers
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs, from 2-1/2 whole graham crackers
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

 add one cup of the GC crumbs in a bowl
melt 1/2 cup butter
add it to the GC crumbs and mix
spoon one tablespoon in each of 12 large cupcake wrappers(I personally prefer the large wrappers)
Press the mixture down. I used my espresso tamper...everyone has one of those right?
Once they are all done, set them aside.

Beat butter in mixer for  until soft
Add brown sugar and beat additional 3 minutes. The batter should be soft and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time.  Mixing 30 seconds each.  It helps to have a super cute assistant to crack your eggs for you:-)
I must admit that he is getting better at cracking eggs
Add the flour, remaining GC crumbs, salt and baking powder together
mix...
and mix
add 1/3 of the dry mix to the mixer
combine the milk and vanilla together.  Alternate adding the liquid with the dry mix.  
After all the dry and wet ingredients are added scrape down the sided of the mixer and beat an additional minute.
fill the cupcake wrappers 3/4 of the way full with the GC batter


Bake and allow to cool

Once your cupcakes have cooled scoop out a tablespoon of the center(what you do with the scoop is up to you! 
This is what they should look like
I used Hersey's special dark to make my filling.  The filling calls for 8oz of dark chocolate(you could use milk if you prefer) and 1 cup cream.  I just added the chocolate to a bowl poured the cream over the top and microwaved in 30 second increments. Stir in between until the chocolate and cream are smooth and glossy. 
Fill the center of the cupcakes with the filling
Take an ordinary marshmallow...
Cut it in half
Stick it on top..
and then toast it! I just used a simple lighter that I have for candles.  

So fun!
You might want to serve them with milk:-) 
I noticed on her page that she suggested using less butter.  I however, did not notice this note in time.  Here is the link to her recipe.  Mine is a little more simple than hers

Stay tuned for a I ♥ faces post of one of my yummy cupcakes.

3 comments:

  1. oh MY!!! cupcakes AND s'mores?! fabulous!! thank you for sharing!! will need to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe that you took all these photos while you were baking. Did it take you FIVE hours to get them all done? Also, did Mike take any of these photos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did take a few but mostly I tweaked myself...see how I am working left handed...Yeah, I'm not!

    ReplyDelete